Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Jumpin' on the (green smoothie) Bandwagon

I've never been one to go for whatever the fad du jour is.  If it's trendy, fashionable, or in vogue (en vogue? I don't even know!) I'm not usually drawn to it, whether that be fashion, food, or life.  I'm not sure if this stems from not wanting to conform, not paying attention, or not caring about what's "in", but it's just the reality of how I am. This is particularly true when it comes to food trends.  Raw foods? No thanks. Paleo? Nah. Gluten-free? Not for me!  I guess I just don't want to do something because it's popular.  If I actually like something and believe in it, well that's another thing.  Case in point: green smoothies.  At first I was skeptical.  Liquid spinach?!  But in reality they're a great way to get in more veggies, which is a food group most people don't get enough of.  They are refreshing on a warm day, pretty tasty, and frankly, they are kind of fun. Okay so I've only made one so far but I like the concept and I plan on experimenting with them more and hopefully posting more recipes.  Yes, ladies and gentleman, I have joined the green smoothie trend. 

Here's what I did for my first one:

8 oz coconut milk
1-2 handfuls spinach
1/2 cucumber, cubed and preferably frozen
1 green apple, cubed and preferably frozen

Blend until smooth. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment